Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 21 - Flashlight Easter Egg Hunt

Our annual flashlight Easter egg hunt! 


Each year we converge on Serenity Gardens Park in Mansfield to "hide" hundreds of Easter eggs! 


We really don't have to do a lot of hiding, because the kids hunt for them after dark, using flashlights! 


Ready, Set.....Go! 

The actual hunt only takes a few minutes.  Some of the eggs are randomly scattered in the grass, and some are carefully placed under trees and cradled by bushes, but quickly they are all sought out.  

The first year I carefully sealed each one with reflective tape.  
Unnecessary.  
Kids can just smell an Easter egg! 

My dad loved Easter egg hunts.  
We would have them all year long! 
Really, it was nothing in July to be down at the lake with some friends, and Dad call us over and say he had hidden 30 eggs and for us to find them. 
They were well hidden in the forest.  
Twenty acres of overgrown East Texas forest! 
Our only clue would be something like, "under a Chinquapin tree", or "in the branches of a Yaupon".  
He might provide a leaf sample if my friends were "newbies".  



He usually hid a dollar or two inside each one as an incentive.  
You learn your tree identification quickly when a few bucks and bragging rights are at stake! 

It should have amazed me how Dad knew 
the name of every tree and plant growing.  
But it didn't, I just took it for granted.  
Now I wonder who is going to teach my kids these things... 
Looks like I had better save my $1.00 bills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment